Apply and Audition
Applying to our Programs is a Two-Step Process
Admission to George Mason University does not guarantee your acceptance into our programs. However, all College of Visual and Performing Arts majors must be admitted to Mason.
How to Apply
Apply to the university. Your application to the university must be on file prior to your audition. We strongly encourage you to apply to the university by November 1 to receive maximum scholarship consideration, including merit and talent-based scholarships. The regular decision application deadline is January 15, and the transfer application priority deadline is March 1.
Program Audition, Portfolio Requirements
- All applicants interview with a faculty panel in order to become a Theater Major. Auditions, Portfolio Reviews and Interviews may be conducted either in person by appointment or by online submission at any time.
- All applicants submit a theater résumé, in PDF format, limited to one page. The résumé should list the applicant’s theater experience, training, and any special skills.
- Applicants applying to the BA with a concentration in Theater Studies perform a prepared monologue not to exceed 90 seconds, or submit a dramatic writing sample or portfolio, or respond to the essay prompt “Why do you wish to study Theater at Mason?”
- Applicants for the BA Theater Education concentration audition with one prepared monologue not to exceed 90 seconds, or submit a portfolio for review. Applicants also submit a two-page Teaching Philosophy Statement.
- Applicants for the BA and BFA Performance Concentration audition for the program, with two prepared contrasting monologues, each not to exceed 90 seconds.
- Applicants for the BA Design and Technical Theater Concentration respond to the essay prompt “Why do you wish to study theater at Mason?” or submit a portfolio. Applicants for the BFA Design for Stage and Screen Concentration submit a portfolio which includes evidence of relevant work on at least one production.
- Applicants for the BFA Musical Theater Concentration audition for the program with two prepared contrasting monologues, each not to exceed 90 seconds, and two prepared songs not to exceed three minutes in total.
In-person interviews will immediately follow in-person auditions or portfolio reviews, and online interviews will be scheduled shortly after receipt of online submissions.
Students must open an account on SlideRoom in order to submit materials, upload digital or video content, or to schedule their interview or in-person session. Instructions will be sent after your application to Mason Admissions is received.
See details on the College of Visual & Performing Arts Admissions page. You will receive an email confirmation of receipt of submission, and your program audition or review date, if applicable.
We are looking for:
- Appropriate level of craft and artistry
- Commitment to the work as demonstrated by preparation for the interview, audition, and/or portfolio review, or as articulated in a submitted two-page statement
- Willingness to accept direction, criticism and mentoring
- Willingness and ability to collaborate with students, faculty, and staff
Due to COVID-19 protocols, we are currently accepting application materials and conducting interviews online only. When in-person appointments become available, the dates and details will be posted here.
If you have any questions, please contact School of Theater Program Manager, Kevin Murray or at 703-993-2195. If necessary, an applicant can request an individual appointment during normal business hours. Theater major program auditions and portfolio reviews will take place within the School of Theater on the Fairfax Campus.
Audition, Portfolio Review and Interview Dates for 2020-2021
Scheduling for in-person appointments are made through SlideRoom. In the event of continued closures due to COVID-19, appointments may be changed to an online process, and you will be contacted to schedule an online interview.
See details under Step 2 above. If you have questions, please contact the School of Theater at email@example.com.
Auditions, Portfolio Review, and Interview dates for Fall 2021 enrollment:
April 3 (Transfer Applicants Only)
(Dates are subject to COVID-19 conditions.)