Applying to our Undergraduate Programs is a Two-Step Process
Admission to George Mason University does not guarantee your acceptance into our programs. However, all College of Visual and Performing Arts majors must be admitted to Mason.
How to Apply
Apply to the university. Your application to the university must be on file prior to your audition. We strongly encourage you to apply to the university by November 7 to receive maximum scholarship consideration, including merit and talent-based scholarships. The regular decision application deadline is February 1, and the transfer application priority deadline is March 1.
All freshman early action CVPA auditions must be scheduled by November 7.
All freshman regular decision auditions must be scheduled by February 7.
Program Audition, Portfolio Requirements
- All applicants interview with a faculty panel in order to become a Theater Major. Auditions, Portfolio Reviews and Interviews may be conducted either in person by appointment or by online submission at any time.
- All applicants submit a theater résumé, in PDF format, limited to one page. The résumé should list the applicant’s theater experience, training, and any special skills.
- Applicants applying to the BA with a concentration in Theater Studies perform a prepared monologue not to exceed 90 seconds, or submit a dramatic writing sample or portfolio, or respond to the essay prompt “Why do you wish to study Theater at Mason?”
- Applicants for the BA Theater Education concentration audition with one prepared monologue not to exceed 90 seconds each, or submit a portfolio for review. Applicants also submit a two-page Teaching Philosophy Statement.
- Applicants for the BA and BFA Performance Concentration audition for the program, with two prepared contrasting monologues, not to exceed 90 seconds each.
- Applicants for the BA Design and Technical Theater Concentration respond to the essay prompt “Why do you wish to study theater at Mason?” or submit a portfolio. Applicants for the BFA Design for Stage and Screen Concentration submit a portfolio which includes evidence of relevant work on at least one production.
- Applicants for the BFA Musical Theater Concentration audition for the program with two prepared contrasting monologues, not to exceed 90 seconds each, and two song selections not to exceed three minutes in total.
In-person interviews will immediately follow in-person auditions or portfolio reviews, and online interviews will be scheduled shortly after receipt of online submissions.
Students must open an account on SlideRoom in order to submit materials, upload digital or video content, or to schedule their interview or in-person session. Instructions will be sent after your application to Mason Admissions is received.
See details on the College of Visual & Performing Arts Admissions page. You will receive an email confirmation of receipt of submission, and your program audition or review date, if applicable.
We are looking for:
- Appropriate level of craft and artistry
- Commitment to the work as demonstrated by preparation for the interview, audition, and/or portfolio review, or as articulated in a submitted two-page statement
- Willingness to accept direction, criticism and mentoring
- Willingness and ability to collaborate with students, faculty, and staff
Current Mason students must:
- open an account on SlideRoom and upload audition or portfolio requirements
- Have a 2.5 GPA or higher
- if accepted, a change of major form will be required
If you have any questions, please contact the theater office.
Complete steps 1 and 2 above
- University Early Action application deadline: November 1
- School of Theater Interview must be scheduled by November 7 (audition must be completed by December 5)
- Regular decision deadline: February 1
Complete steps 1 and 2 above
- For Spring 2024 consideration: November 1, 2023
- For Fall 2024 consideration: July 19, 2024
Current Mason Students
Only complete Step 2 above
- Change your major for Spring 2024: November 1, 2023
- Change your major for Fall 2024: July 19, 2024
Audition, Portfolio Review and Interview Dates for 2023-2024
*In-person (Saturdays): 11/4/2023, 12/2/2023, 2/3/2024, 2/10/2024, 3/23/2024
Virtual (via Zoom): 11/15/2023, 12/4/2023, 1/31/2024, 2/23/2024, 4/4/2024
Summer dates (for transfers and current Mason students only): 5/14/24, 7/19/24
*Please note applicants auditioning in-person are still required to complete the SlideRoom application, excluding the video submissions.
All applicants will be contacted by the School of Theater to schedule an audition time on your selected day.
If you have questions, please contact our Assistant Director, Nick Horner.
We have resumed offering in-person tours of our School of Theater and spaces. If you are a prospective student or parent, and would like to schedule a tour, please contact Nicholas Kfoury Horner.
Please Note: Tours are given Monday-Thursday between the hours of 10:30am-4:30pm. If you would like to tour the spaces outside of those windows, arrangements can be made with advance notice of two business days.
For information on Graduate Admissions, please visit the College of Visual and Performing Arts website.